Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Art and Fear

Art & Fear – Observations on the Perils and Rewards of Artmaking
by David Bayles and Ted Orland

This book that my friend, Jo, gave me really resonated with me because so much of what motivates me, or gets in the way, is based in fear. It permeates my daily life, but it also is a part of my jewelry making. “Every artist must learn that even the failed pieces are essential.” It is that potential “failure” that scares me so. That and the subsequent waste of time and materials (the silver is SO expensive) that make an anxious ache in my stomach every time I start a piece.

About a quarter of the way into the book, it states that “fear that you are not a real artist causes you to undervalue your work.” I googled the definition of the word “artist” and, as you can imagine, found a lot of variations. The only one I felt applied to me was “a person who creates an aesthetic work.” Art and Fear goes on to say “while you may feel you’re just pretending that you’re an artist, there’s no way to pretend you’re making art. “ That made me smile and that is one of the nice things about the book. It acknowledges the fear and angst, but it also makes me feel better about what I do as though it is somehow validated.

“What is really needed is…….an overriding willingness to embrace mistakes and surprises along the way.” I am often asked about my creative process and I can honestly say that, often, a piece comes together purely by accident. I may have an initial idea, but then something goes “wrong” in the process and I am led in a different direction. I had one piece when the oxidizing produced a different color (and much more interesting) than I had intended. I put it down on my work table next to some pearls I was waiting to use while I went to do something else and they were a perfect color match! (If you know me at all, you know that being color coordinated is crucial to me.) It ended up being one of my best and most favorite necklaces.

The fear that no one will like what I make seems to be a common fear for “artists” and I think I have gotten past that. If I like it and it is the best it is going to be, I am satisfied. If it sells, that is a bonus. I’ve hit the lottery if the person who bought it loves it as much as I do.

Thank you, Jo, for this book – you have no idea how much I have gotten out of it.

No comments: